Alan Plevy is a recognized force in family law, mediation and litigation, with 40 years as a family lawyer in Fairfax, Virginia. As one of the most experienced divorce lawyers in Virginia, he has vast expertise in all issues requiring resolution in matrimonial actions including property settlement agreements, custody and visitation issues, and child support.
Regularly named a ‘Top Lawyer’ by Washingtonian magazine, Alan Plevy is known for being a tenacious litigator and negotiator who is zealously devoted to his clients. A top legal publication, Virginia Lawyer Weekly, noted Mr. Plevy’s impact on the law when it named two cases he litigated among its Top Five Landmark Family Law Cases in Virginia. Those two cases, which date back to the 1980s, are still regularly cited by attorneys and courts.
Alan Plevy is frequently interviewed as a divorce law expert by the media:
- The New York Times interviewed him in a story about how the economy is impacting child support.
- Men’s Health spotlighted him in a piece about social media and its impact on divorce.
- On NBC4, he shared tips on handling the holidays while divorced.
- He discussed the new role social media plays in divorce with ABC 7.
- He was featured on News Channel 8‘s Let’s Talk Live, a local D.C. news show, discussing how to better deal with child custody issues that arise during the holiday season.
He has also appeared on Fox 5, as well as the Kojo Nnamdi Show on WAMU 88.5 FM.
- Alan Plevy has received the coveted Martindale-Hubbell AV Rating.
- Since 2006, he has consistently been chosen by his peers as a Family Law Super Lawyer for Virginia and the District of Columbia.
- Regularly named a Top Lawyer by Washingtonian magazine
- Northern Virginia Magazine named Plevy a Top Lawyer in 2016, 2015, 2013, 2010 and 2009.
- He was selected as one of the “Best Lawyers in America” by The Best Lawyers in America in 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 and 2014.
- He was a SmartCEO magazine Power Player in 2013.
- The firm has been included in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Law Firms” list.
- Alan Plevy serves as Neutral Case Evaluator and Conciliator for the Fairfax County Circuit Court, Virginia and as an Equitable Distribution Mediator for the Montgomery County Circuit Court in Maryland.
- He is a member of the Fairfax Bar Association, where he served in various capacities as a member of the Board of Directors (1982-1988), as Chairman of the Personnel Committee (1983-1985), as Vice Chairman (1980-1981) and Chairman (1981-1982) of the Public Relations Committee, and as a member of the Judicial Screening Committee (1996-1997).
- He is also a member of the Montgomery County Bar Association and the Maryland State Bar Association, Inc.
- Family law
- University of Miami
- George Mason University School of Law